Funkmaster Flex returned fire against Drake Saturday night [August 6], making good on the promise he made via tweet, to address the Summer Sixteen Tour rapper when he told fans to mark their calendars and tune in after Drizzy called on Hot 97 to fire the DJ during an opening night freestyle on Thursday. "Don't you come to my city and try to play me! You know why? You ain't strong enough to get me fired. There ain't no rapper in this city strong enough to get me fired!" Flex said during his broadcast. "You the biggest rapper in the world, and you can't get me off this station!"
Flex went in on the Toronto rapper, claiming to have info that he implied might not bode well with the streets, nor with fans of the art, as he explained the roots of Drake's beef with Meek Mill having to do with the 6-god himself leaking the original rendition of what we now know was a ghostwritten R.I.C.O verse, so as to deflect from being responsible after being "pressed" on whether he was going at Meek. Flex then alleged that Drake wound up wearing a sling after his fight with Puffy because his security guard yanked him away to save him from a beating he was sustaining. The veteran Hot 97 DJ wouldn't stop there, going on to remind Drake that Future, who is accompanying him on his tour, was on the hook of the "I Got The Keys" song in which Jay-Z allegedly goes at Drake on. Flex spoke his comments directly at the Views rapper, as he implied having the intuition to know that Drake is conflicted in bringing the Atlanta Trapper along to provide street cred to his show, all the while knowing Future was in on Jigga's attack on him.
"Khalid screaming. And Khalid been keeping me off of you for six months, my brother," Flex said, before dropping a bomb. "I mean, this is what he wanted right? You think they're going to fire me now? Sandal man?"
Finally, Flex brought it back to Drake's very first freestyle on mainstream radio. He referenced back to the memorable "Blackberry Freestyle," in which Drake spits bars while scrolling his phone. Flex explained the decision as to whether Drake's team would even give the footage a go, being a calculated one, which he never understood seeing how at the time reading rhymes off of a phone was not commendable. Never the less, Flex claims that despite his advice that they go strictly audio on the freestyle's release, he was encouraged by Drake's people to put the video out. "You wanted people to think that you write your bars. You wanted people to think that on that Blackberry those were yours and that you wrote that," he said, before breaking down his observation of alleged ghost writer Quentin Miller standing by Drake to direct him on how to deliver his purchased lyrics. "You wanted to solidify that because you knew this day was coming one day, when people might see, or question your pen."
Throughout the 24-minute radio slot, Flex proclaimed to have no fear of Drake because 70% of his fans "wear high heels," while the other 30% are men who "wear sandals." In that context, Flex does lighten the shade by commending Drake on having attracted an unparalleled following but recommends that he lay off of the tough guy act. "Leave the hardcore bars to other people, and everybody's good," he said before signing off.
- Font Size
- Reading Mode